By Heidi Thomson
This e-book examines how Coleridge staged his deepest woes within the public house of the newspaper. It appears at his courses within the Morning Post, which first released one in every of his most famed poems, Dejection. An Ode. It unearths how he came across a socially sanctioned public outlet for poetic disappointments and private frustrations which he couldn't potentially articulate in the other means. that includes clean, contextual readings of validated significant poems; unique readings of epigrams, sentimental ballads, and translations; analyses of political and human-interest tales, this publication unearths the extraordinary quantity to which Coleridge used the general public medium of the newspaper to disclose his advanced and ambivalent deepest feelings approximately his marriage, his courting with the Wordsworths and the Hutchinsons, and the impact of those dynamics on his personal poetry and poetics.
Read or Download Coleridge and the Romantic Newspaper: The 'Morning Post' and the Road to 'Dejection' PDF
Best gothic & romance books
The serious history gathers jointly a wide physique of severe resources on significant figures in literature. each one quantity provides modern responses to a writer's paintings, allowing scholars and researchers to learn the cloth themselves.
Within the eighteenth century, critics of capitalism denounced the expansion of luxurious and effeminacy; supporters applauded the rise of refinement and the enhanced prestige of ladies. This pioneering learn explores the best way the organization of trade and femininity permeated cultural construction. It appears to be like on the first use of a feminine writer as an icon of modernity within the Athenian Mercury, and reappraises works through Elizabeth Singer Rowe, Mandeville, Defoe, Pope and Elizabeth Carter.
From Puritan tracts and chapbooks to fairy stories and Victorian poems, from zombies and werewolves to ghosts and vampires, the gothic has turn into an enormous a part of kid's literature. This e-book explores how Gothicism is essential in supporting kids development via diversified levels of progress and improvement.
Gothic technological know-how Fiction explores the interesting international of gothic encouraged technological know-how fiction. From Frankenstein to surgeon Who and from H. G Wells to Stephen King, the ebook charts the increase of a style and follows the descent into darkness that consumes it.
- Transfiguring the Arts and Sciences: Knowledge and Cultural Institutions in the Romantic Age
- The Changing Face of Arthurian Romance: Essays on Arthurian Prose Romances in memory of Cedric E. Pickford (Arthurian Studies)
- British Abolitionism and the Rhetoric of Sensibility: Writing, Sentiment and Slavery, 1760-1807
- Erasmus Darwin and the Romantic Poets
- Zayde: A Spanish Romance
- Anger, revolution, and romanticism
Additional resources for Coleridge and the Romantic Newspaper: The 'Morning Post' and the Road to 'Dejection'
544). Not much more than a month later, on 20 December 1799, William and Dorothy moved into Dove Cottage. Coleridge picked up after William’s part in the letter with an affirmation of his close bonds with Dorothy and Mary: ‘You can feel what I cannot express for myself—how deeply I have been impressed by a world of scenery absolutely new to me. At Rydal & Grasmere I recd I think the deepest delight …. Why were you not with us Dorothy? 544–5). The 38 H. THOMSON silence to his wife was directly proportionate to his yearning for Dorothy’s and Mary’s presence.
While Wordsworth’s work on The Prelude was at least connected with Coleridge’s grand scheme of The Recluse, the sudden profuse production of shorter poems, in what was to become Wordsworth’s trademark style, was not. Mark Reed’s chronology of the many short poems which Wordsworth composed between October 1798 and the end of February 1799 points to a potential volume of this kind of verse. And indeed, most of these poems ended up in the second volume of the 1800 Lyrical Ballads (EY 255–63). 527).
545) Daniel Stuart’s offer of a contract to be a staff writer had probably reached Coleridge in the north via Cottle earlier in November (EV 245; Moorman 452). By 27 November Coleridge was in London, ready to embark on his new career at the Morning Post. 576, note). Among his Sockburn notebook entries are the following two: The long Entrancement of a True-love’s Kiss. 579) The consecutive order of these entries highlights the connection in Coleridge’s mind between his emotional state and the inevitable state of both separation and connection he feels between himself and ‘the North’.